Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gear linkage failed then heard clanging when drove in third
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:28 pm 

On Friday, my Cayman broke down due to the gear linkage failing. The gear stick went floppy and it was stuck in third gear. The car is now with the Porsche garage where I bought it two weeks ago, and they are assuring me that this is a "common problem" and it's just "one of those things". What I'm concerned about is that it indicates a potentially more serious problem. I know nothing about Porsches (I'm a n00b), so I'm just making an educated guess.

Also, after this happened, I drove the car a further two miles in third gear and had to keep stopping and starting at traffic lights. Sometimes, when I got going, there was a clanging noise coming from the gearbox as if the third gear and the clutch were trying to bite at slow speed (I guess). It didn't sound healthy, and by the time I got to my destination, there was a lot of heat coming from the rear wheel arches (more than normal) and a hot metallic smell. Assumedly, this was from burning of the clutch.

Again, the Porsche garage has assured me that this will not cause anything to worry about as it was such short-term, and the clutch/gearbox is designed to go through much worse.

Would just like anyone's opinions on this...

Thanks,
Neo

Post subject: Re: Gear linkage failed then heard clanging when drove in th
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:41 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
I have limited knowledge of these later Porks but I suspect one of the gear change cables popped off. It will get damned hot driving it in 3rd both clutch & engine so I'm not surprised.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

Post subject: Re: Gear linkage failed then heard clanging when drove in th
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:01 pm 

I ended up speaking to Peter Morgan about this and he was very helpful. I arranged to have a full inspection done on Tuesday while my car is still at Cridfords. However, I then spoke to the owner of Cridfords (Jonathan) and he said it would be a waste of money (£310 +VAT). He offered to perform a full computer diagnostics on the car and give me the printout. This would cover any logged problems that occurred at the time of the incident when I drove home in third gear.

He also spoke to Peter Morgan and between them and the mechanic at Cridfords, they all came up with the conclusion that if the car were dragged in gear and the key was in the ignition and the steering lock was disengaged, the car would have jump started. I don't know how true this is, especially in third gear.

Anyway, I've agreed to pick the car up tomorrow (Saturday) on the basis that the diagnostics are done and see how it goes.

I'm a bit annoyed with the aftersales service by Cridfords. After checking the car on Monday, they promised the parts could be obtained from Porsche within a couple of hours and then the car would be fixed in a matter of hours. It is now Friday and the car only became ready today! I wish they'd just said that rather than making out that it would be quick so I could plan ahead for it. Also, on one hand, I was told by their mechanic and the owner that it is unlikely that dragging the car in gear would do any damage. Then, on the other hand, I was told by the guy who sold me the car that if any problems were found in the engine by the inspection, they would blame it on the police dragging the car! So, which is it?! Damage is unlikely to be caused by dragging it, or, if there is damage, it was likely to be caused by dragging it?? Nice little get-out clause for them - they remove themselves from any fault found with the engine that might've existed prior to me buying it (by blaming it on the police dragging it) while still saying that damage could not have been caused by dragging it if responsibility falls on them (because the police did what they had to do) thereby saying it must've existed beforehand. Actually, putting it like that makes it sound like they've completely contradicted themselves anyway, so I guess I'm safe.

I have to say I would've recommended Cridfords after I bought the car - very helpful and very friendly. But, they seem to be very inclined to remove themselves of as much responsibility as possible once the car is out of their hands apart from what they must do under the Sale of Goods Act to ensure that faults of rectified. The buck is quickly passed on any possible consequential damage.