Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:38 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wife's Cayman update
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4952
Skype ID: JW590
For those who haven't seen it - http://109.203.106.169/fow_2011/showzoo ... id=AF07LXB

Stef had test driven it on Sunday, so armed with all my research notes to help with the bartering with any sales-people, Stef and I went to Fords of Winsford with the intention of buying the car. The salesman mentioned that it had been serviced at Porsche Cambridge. I was to test drive the car seeing as Stef had done it yesterday. The guy went off to get the trade plates. While he was away I told Stef to call John Jnr (our son) and ask him to Google Porsche Cambridge for a phone number and to telephone them for any info they had on the car.

I went for the test drive, great drive, didn't think it had as much grunt as mine, but very comfortable and amazingly quiet inside. The only fault was that the radio didn't work. When we returned we parked in the lit up garage so that we could have another look at the car (it was dark now). I went into the showroom and Stef was on the phone to Porsche. Stef passed the telephone over to me and the lady told me that they had sold the car new, had serviced it at 20000 miles and had mot'd it last year. Then they had taken it in part exchange and sold it again in June 2010 to somebody in St Helens (Fords of Winsford had bought it at auction). In April 2010 there had been £600 of light repair work to the front end. I thanked her for her help and went out to the car with Stef.

I found where the repair work had been done on the bumper. It wasn't difficult to see where it had been repaired under the front off-side light, and along the top edge near the centre. The near-side bumper was untouched. The paint had been done and blown over..... and it was just too obvious, which was a surprise seeing as it had been done at Porsche. The salesman came out and I pointed all this out to him, along with the fact that the car is 440 miles overdue a 40000 mile service - which is £1150. I also pointed out that despite their claims, the car was not lower priced than anywhere else - and if you're spending that much money you may as well buy one that hasn't been repaired.

Shame really, because other than the front bumper the car looked stunning, had a premium Bose sound system, metallic paint and fancy 18" wheels as optional extras when new, but we walked away from it because of the repair work. Somebody who doesn't do their research will buy it.

We're now researching to find a better one.

1991 944S2, 222000 miles.
2007 Audi A4 Avant Tdi 140 S-Line
2014 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG
1995 Triumph TR6

Post subject: Re: Wife's Cayman update
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:54 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Shame John, but there are lots out there. TBH £6-700 on paint will be fairly minor but the rest of the issues mean I'd walk as well.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:08 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
Well done John, great bit of on the spot research. I like the Caymen and I'm sure you'll find one that is right.

You really didn't think it had as much grunt as yours? I've never driven one, but I thought they would have been very torquey ( if that is a word?). Or does yours just "grunt" longer and harder? ( that's not meant to sound rude, I'm talking about a car).

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4952
Skype ID: JW590
Jim - During my research I asked Porsche Wilmslow today and their labour costs are £144 an hour inc vat. Assuming most places charge that rate then a £600 repair job is probably £100 max for parts, i.e. a bit of filler / plastic repair stuff / sand paper and a pot of paint - and the rest is labour.

Same with the service, I spoke to the helpful service manager at the Porsche dealer at Wilmslow. The service intervals are:

20000 miles minor service - £590
40000 miles major service - £1150.

He said that the main difference is that they change the spark plugs, so when I queried that it was £500 for a set of plugs he gave me some more information and told me they change the drive belt as well. Still, it's a lot of money for a service.

Of course we won't be taking it to Porsche, but the knowledge helps when it comes to bartering.

1991 944S2, 222000 miles.
2007 Audi A4 Avant Tdi 140 S-Line
2014 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG
1995 Triumph TR6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:53 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Having driven a Cayman 2.7 it needs lots of revs to go well, so driven gently would probably feel slower than a 944, especially as it is heavier.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5