Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:07 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My "new" 981 Cayman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:45 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I’ve just bought a 981 Cayman and thought I’d put down a few random thoughts. Some of my observations might not have come out in road tests and might be of interest to other potential buyers or might provoke discussion.
I didn’t really intend buying one at all. I fancied building another Caterham for my second mid-life crisis. But my wife wouldn’t get in it (she didn’t in the last), so something more “sensible” , which wouldn’t turn into a track day car, was called for. I’d previously tried a couple of 911s and decided they weren’t for me, but the Cayman’s rave reviews prompted a test drive. Though my head says double clutch gearboxes are best, a number of (VW group) double clutch ones left me cold in the past, so I decided a 2.7 manual was what would suit.
However, the local dealer only had PDK demonstrators, so I tried one of those. It had 20” wheels too, which I had assumed would spoil the ride too much. Well, the ride was a bit jiggly but not that harsh, but I was blown away by the PDK box – which I drove manually for almost the whole test. The key fact for me is that there is no way I can make gear changes as smooth or anything like as fast I therefore decided I wanted a secondhand 2.7PDK with 18 or 19” wheels and a light colour. Or so I thought…
While looking, I (foolishly?) tried a Cayman S.. It depends what you are used to, but the 2.7 is fast enough for me, but it is hampered by very high gears, and needs to be worked hard for it to feel quick. It feels merely brisk if you try to breeze along. The S pulls those gears so much better so… an S it had to be.
Finding the right spec at a reasonable price was the difficult bit. With so many expensive options it’s difficult to get the ones you really want without, in effect, paying for ones you don’t. In the end I got a 14 reg car with only 720 miles on the clock, with PCM, PASM, Telephone preparation (can you really believe it’s an extra!), 19” wheels, Dual climate control, Parking sensors all round and rear wiper, all of which I was keen to have. It also has some things I wasn’t fussed about, but might appeal to future buyers - Bose, partial leather, heated seats, Sports tailpipe, and Sports wheel (flappy paddles are great on the track, but less so on the road). Would have liked PTV, but for some reason isn’t that popular an option. The car is Basalt metallic Black, which is popular, but certainly not my preferred colour (and personally I prefer the non-metallic black). But I concluded that if you are having a mid life crisis a sober colour wouldn’t make it so obvious.
First impressions. Well, I’m still running in and keeping to about 4000 revs, just where the engine really starts of fly and make a delightful howl. Whether this is enhanced by sports tailpipe I’m not sure. But it breezes along effortlessly, and I’m surprised to find myself happy to let the PDK take the strain when I’m in no particular hurry – it’s quite responsive even when in its normal rather than Sport mode. I still prefer to change gears "manually" when driving quickly. The ride is impressive, and even with the dampers set in Sport is firm rather than harsh – and roads around about are very testing. I’m on P Zeros and foolishly I didn’t check what the other cars I drove were on. Bump thump is remarkably well suppressed, but tyre roar on some coarse surfaces can be very intrusive.
Overall I’m delighted. It is a fantastic car. That said, I can understand someone who had driven both a 987 and 981 felt the 987 demanded more of the driver, and therefore was more engaging. Some may prefer the 911 for the same reason. The 981 is just so good it makes anyone feel like a hero with no effort!
Niggles are few. If you’re short, and therefore have the seat forward and up, entry and (particularly) exit can be difficult if you cannot open the door fully. I sometimes have to resort to sliding the seat back to aid getting out – something Lotus Elise/Exige owners may be familiar with. If you are short it’s a very good reason for avoiding Sport Plus seats which will exacerbate the problem.
Much is made of the standard of finish of the car, and, by and large, this is true. However there are one or two things that jar. The overhead interior light and switches feel low rent, as do the stalks on the steering column which have a rather springy action.
PCM is ludicrously expensive but doesn’t support speed camera warnings and user defined POIs.
Am I the only one who finds the handbrake location, and its (digital) operation, unsatisfactory? It reminds of a road test of another car saying a switch was ideally located for someone with a 9 inch limb growing out of their kneecap. It doesn’t matter so much with the PDK box, but I’m sure I’d find it a real pain with a manual box.
Finally, I think Porsche have done a pretty good job in creating oddment space. But has anyone found a use for the quite spacious, but almost impossible to access, cubby holes behind the seats in the engine cover?

Post subject: Re: My "new" 981 Cayman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:27 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Excellent write up. I've driven a couple of PDK cars, both 2.7 & thought it was a great combination. The PDK is much better than the Tip in my 986.
Some pics would be good!

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:19 am 

tr7v8 wrote:
Excellent write up. I've driven a couple of PDK cars, both 2.7 & thought it was a great combination. The PDK is much better than the Tip in my 986.
Some pics would be good!

I was very tempted to follow VWs example of an advert for the (old) Beetle many years ago. They took out a full page advert in the papers and left it blank. The text at the bottom said something like "We were going to show you a picture of the 19xx Beetle, but since it's the same as last year we thought there was no point".

Actually I haven't got a picture of the car and, though I'm keen on photography, it wouldn't have occurred to me to take one. It's just a standard black Cayman S. Don't do selfies either which, I know, makes me a bit (some might say a lot) odd. But I know what I look like (and it's not great) and everyone here knows what the Cayman looks like....

Re Tiptronic. The last 911 I drove was Tiptronic, an oldish C4 - and that did, perhaps unfairly, tend to put me off both automatics and 911s. Were I to try the latest C2 Pdk I might revise my opinions - but when ignorance is bliss ....
As part of the purchase a Porsche experience at Silverstone was included, so I'm not sure I'll be able to resist giving a 911 a go...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7187
Good article Steve, I too have changed from owning Caterham's (6 in fact over an18 year span!) to a "987" Porsche Boxster 2.9 Gen 2 (2011) in the last few years the wife wouldn't go in the car either, she found the Tillet Seats a bit uncomfortable and the car too quick around the lanes-It a 305bhp 2.3 Duratec engine,also not much in the way of safety, even though I did have a full roll cage on it!
Well with me getting a bit older & to keep the other half happy, I looked for a more practical sports car & part exchanged it for the 987 (18 months ago-now)with an official PC, yes I would've preferred a bit more power,occasionally, but for today's roads with speed cameras getting everywhere! it's quick enough and can return 36 mpg
The car only comes alive, unfortunately when you get up to 60 mph plus, what I like is it's an everyday user-friendly car even for a soft top, the boot space is quite good-front and back! I must admit I do prefer the Hood up on motorway journeys thou, even if it's sunny and warm, it's a second car, so I don't do a lot of miles in it & it has crossed my mind, someday instead of owning two cars-just run one car & that's where the 981 Cayman comes in, which is why I found your article an interesting read-thanks & happy motoring

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 4746
Apologies Phil - your post got stuck in the moderation queue :oops:

ARO Southern
Website & Forum Admin
1991 944 S2 black/grey
1986 944 Lux red/black

JOIN THE CLUB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:52 pm 

What's wrong with shift paddles on a road car?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:25 pm 

FarQue wrote:
What's wrong with shift paddles on a road car?

Having done a 1000 or so miles in the car I have modified my view a bit.

On the track you keep your hands fixed on the wheel, so the paddles are always in the same place relative to your hands. On the road I shuffle, and if I'm taking a relatively sharp turn - like on a roundabout - the paddles don't fall conveniently to finger. Not only which the stalk for selecting the on-board computer can get in the way.

Sooo when I'm pushing on I drive in manual and use the gear lever - it stays in the same place, and is conveniently near the wheel.

That said I do use the downshift paddle when in auto prior to an overtake, for example. Don't often use the upshift paddle, except when the box has gone all sporty on me because of a couple of quick overtakes and I want to calm it down! In truth the paddles are definitely better than buttons on the wheel.

The ability to pull both paddles and get neutral is handy too. I'm old fashioned and I don't like creep and shining my brake lights in following drivers eyes. You are stuck with creep with a torque converter but on a PDK you are needlessly slipping (riding in manual parlance) one of the clutches. The latest GT3 doesn't creep and I wish the S didn't. Pity the handbrake is so badly located and comes off with a bit of a jerk and
clonk.

So all in all the sports wheel is somewhat useful - and looks better - but it does mean you have to forego the multifunction wheel. (Though I believe their is some talk of a multi function wheel with paddles becoming an option.

I won't be tracking the car (I'll be hiring a Caterham for track days) so, for me, the paddles aren't that useful, but I'm actually glad someone else paid for it, but I don't think I would have.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:46 pm 

Fair enough. Mrs FarQue's car has paddle change and it's a useful road-use option. However, like you, I find changing 'manually' in her car using the gear-lever (although old fashioned) intrinsically 'right'. As you say, the lever stays in the same place! You're right about the daft position of the handbrake switch position, total nonsence having it hidden under the dash.

I assume by 'shuffle' you mean that you use a push-pull steering technique a la the IAM?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:43 pm 

FarQue wrote:

I assume by 'shuffle' you mean that you use a push-pull steering technique a la the IAM?

Yes, I'm very old fashioned. That said I don't think it matters what exact method you use on the wheel - the steering isn't high enough geared to keep your hands fixed on the road. Personally I'd MUCH prefer fixed paddles for the road rather than ones that go round with the wheel - you'd always know where they are too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:03 pm 

Hi everyone

I picked my GTS up 3 weeks ago today and still running it in at the moment, but must say I am loving it, the car in question has had a lot of extras put on it (35 I think) and looking forward to getting out in it more this summer.
So far the furthest I have been was to beaulieu for the Porsche day and must say I enjoyed the day 100%

Hope to meet more Cayman owners soon and just for the record I am in the Northants area if any other Northants owners are on here ?

Cheers dunc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:29 pm 

Not that far adrift - Buckingham. The local club meet up quite close to me. If you want to compare notes, please post or pm me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:20 pm 

Having just sold my 968 after 11 years of ownership I have today ordered a 981 Cayman S .

Due some time in September

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:38 pm 

Interesting that you chose an S over a GTS - which is definitely more "flavour of the month". I did too - what made you go that route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:26 pm 

bcr5784 wrote:
Interesting that you chose an S over a GTS - which is definitely more "flavour of the month". I did too - what made you go that route.

The GTS is some £ 7 K extra
Enhanced performance not a decider for me ......... S more than adequate and anyway in 3 years time I may want to upgrade to a Cayman GT3 !!
Who would want to downsize ?
Much lower .... London HUMPS
More aggressive styling
Insurance ?

What were your reasons for going the S route ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:42 pm 

Like you, I suspect, didn't value most of the 7k of "extras". Ground clearance is a serious issue to me - my S with PASM is already marginal on my drive, so not keen on the bodywork changes. I know I'm in a minority, but I hate SSE with a passion (juvenile in my view), prefer 19 to 20" wheels - better ride handling bias, like the dynamic engine mounts of sports chrono- but regard the rest as overpriced gimic. Top end power is of no interest - mid range is where the car is lacking, so the power hike is of no particular interest.

Other trim issues I can take or leave.

So an S was a better bet for me - especially as it meant a much better discount could be had on a second-hand car. Agree it meant I won't get such a good price when I sell, but I still think it will prove a better deal for me.